Tuesday, August 27, 2019

Is Inclusiveness a threat for Sanatana Dharma ? (25-Aug-2019)

I was visiting #Ramnagar for the first time in 10 years when it started raining. I had no place to go so I chose to take shelter in a nearby #Vishnu Temple next to a #Sai Temple.

The only other person to give me the company was an old Pandit Ji.

As usual,as a notorious student of comparative #Religions, noticing the 'pratishthith" statue of #GuruNanak, I asked him,"Sikhs chose to throw Lord Vishnu's statue from Golden Temple in the year 1910 citing we are a separate identity & not #Hindus than why we are worshipping Guru Nanak in a Vishnu Temple"

He answered me this "Lord #Hanuman took birth at least 12000 years ago & Sai Baba, whose real name most probably is Chand miyan existed mere 100 years ago. Still, in the neighboring temple, you will find a statue of Hanuman worshipping Sai. Now, most of the people visit Sai Baba & not this temple. #Inclusiveness is the very nature of this Culture. Either you crib about everything you think is corruption or accept everyone & make them our own."

"But isn't this a threat for #Sanatana Dharma." I counter questioned?

"We are here for 5000 years & going strong in similar ways, who else has survived for so long?"He had a point.

He gave me prasad, I came out of the temple, I am not sure if it was still raining?

Anupam S Shlok
#Anupamism

No comments: